Zantac Lawsuit


Researching drug company and regulatory malfeasance for over 16 years
Humanist, humorist

Sunday, September 26, 2010

ACAI BERRY SUPPLEMENTS - CAN THEY HELP SSRI WITHDRAWAL?

Acai Berry: Can it help reduce antidepressant withdrawal problems?


Over the past year or so I have heard some anecdotal claims that the Acai berry [pronounced Ah-Si-ee] has helped people who have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms from SSRi type drugs.

Always one to learn of help for withdrawal sufferers, I started to research Acai and it's apparent claims.

Although I am not withdrawing from any SSRi drug, I decided to write a brief email to Gavin Curtis at acai-berryuk.com. I told him that I was interested in any anecdotal or scientific claims that Acai can help people withdraw more easily from antidepressants.

Although Gavin had no scientific data to prove that it could reduce withdrawal symptoms from SSRi tapering, he did point me to some comments left around the internet:

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:29 AM
I have heard that the Acai Berry has helped those with depression and even made it possible for some to get off their meds. Does anyone have any experiences with this? I know it sounds too good to be true and it probably is.


Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:09 AM
I have been taking acai berries for 2 days now and I have noticed a substantial difference. I have had depression for 8 years and been on all kinds of meds for about 4 years. The acai juice that I am using has helped with energy, sadness, anger, and has helped clear my mind. My mom bought the drink for me because one of her friends was very depressed for 2 years and finally was treated by a doc who prescibed her some meds as well as told her how well the acai juice works for depressed patients.


Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:24 PM
Well, I don't know about acai specifically, but perhaps feeding your body really nutritious and health promoting natural foods (like acai) may help alleviate depression because in doing so, you may feel physically better, and that feeling may in fact affect your mental state. who knows?

I know that I feel much much MUCH better when I treat my body right, and I'm not talking rigorous exercise and strict dieting. I'm talking natural, organic foods, mostly raw, and some stretching and yoga. When I treat my body like this (with love), it reminds my mind that I'm "worth it" and I feel positive about myself.


Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:39 PM
I've actually read a couple web sites that said acai berries were helpful for improving mood. (No they weren't sites trying to sell it). I, myself, haven't tried it/them, but it could be worth a shot. Sounds like they're good for you anyway.


These comments tallied up with two stories I had been sent from readers of Seroxat Sufferers. One was by proxy, from my girlfriend in Canada. We spoke on the phone and she told me of her friends daughter who had been taking Paxil [Canadian brand name for Seroxat] - She was struggling withdrawal symptoms and was told about the Acai berry. She purchased the juice form and over a period of a week or so found the withdrawal symptoms subsiding.

With this in mind, and the anecdotal comments left on the internet, I decided to prompt Gavin Curtis for more answers as a lot of the mainstream websites seemed to be promoting the Acai berry as some miracle cure for all sorts of things ranging from dramatic weight loss to cancer to slowing down the age process.

Gavin told me: "To be honest, in my opinion, this product is just beginning to show what it can do. Unfortunately, it has been marred recently on the interent with scam artists and poor quality products that give little effect. Its unfortunate as it puts some people off."

Gavin then offered to send me a sample, which I have been taking in capsule form for the past week.

There are many claims that the Acai berry can help people who suffer with arthritis and high cholesterol and seeing as I was diagnosed with Bi-lateral Osteoarthritis over 10 years ago, and more recently with high cholesterol, I decided to give them a bash.

There are no chemicals in the capsules. The powder, contained in the capsule, writes acai-berryuk, consists of several types of fatty acids like Omega 6 or Omega 9. These fatty acids are commonly found in various sea foods or olive oil. These fatty acids have proven effective to reduce different kinds of cancer. These also consist of phytosterols which is mostly found in nuts, grains, beans and seeds. It also helps in promoting prostate and urinary health. acai berry capsules also contains several types of amino acids which are good to get good strength. The amino acids help in providing additional strength, development and endurance to the body. It really helps in the detoxification of body which is necessary to keep away various diseases.

I'm more interested in the 'de-toxification' than anything else. If this simple berry from the Amazon Rainforest can provide relief for the thousands [millions] of people who suffer severe withdrawal symptoms with antidepressants, then we could have a major breakthrough here. Let's face it, we, as patients, have never received any help from the pharmaceutical companies or medicine regulators with withdrawal techniques, have we?

So, we have to weigh up the benefit Vs risk ratio here - How many times have we heard that line touted by medicine regulators and pharmaceutical companies?

Way I see it, the only known side-effect from ingesting too much of the berry, be it in liquid or powder/capsule form, is diarrhoea - If you were to eat citrus fruits all day then you'd get diarrhoea.

Alleged benefits include; helps reduce fat and to reduce the level of cholesterol, helps to purify the blood, helps to flush out bad toxins from your body, helps detox and purify our internal system, gives you more energy and helps you sleep better, contains a wide range of vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids. Acai contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E, iron, potassium, phosphorus and calcium.

One week


I've been taking four capsules daily for exactly one week now, the first three days saw no drastic change. I still woke at unearthly hours, still needed a power nap in the afternoon, had no desire to cut down on what I ate.

One week later and I don't feel the need to take an afternoon nap. Placebo effect or does the Acai berry really work?


There are many readers of Seroxat Sufferers who are still struggling with SSRi medication. I'm not endorsing this product nor do I urge you to take it because it may help you taper more easily, the only evidence is anecdotal.

There is a huge SSRi withdrawal problem that is largely refuted by pharma and regulators world-wide. If a natural berry from the rainforest can help ease suffering then the help that we, as patients/consumers of these drugs, may be just one click away.

If you are interested in trying this supplement then Gavin Curtis has offered readers of this blog a special discount.

10% Discount Voucher - 931-623-876-999

Buy Acai Berry

**Sometime in the future, I will be writing an article on another supplement that may be beneficial to those suffering SSRi withdrawal.

Fid

ORDER THE PAPERBACK
'THE EVIDENCE, HOWEVER, IS CLEAR...THE SEROXAT SCANDAL' By Bob Fiddaman
SIGNED COPIES HERE OR UNSIGNED FROM CHIPMUNKA PUBLISHING

3 comments:


Please contact me if you would like a guest post considered for publication on my blog.